Monday, July 23, 2007

Week 32 ultrasound - there's a big girl in there!

One of the upsides to having diabetes (I do my best to focus on these... :) is getting to have extra ultrasounds. Our reward after the big work weekend was having our week 32 ultrasound on Monday, July 23.

We were thrilled to learn that this little girl still looks healthy. And, after a weekend of painting, etc. that she's still a girl. We also learned that she's in the high 90th percentile for size. (YIKES!!!). Yep, they estimate she was 5 lbs. 14 oz.! Ryan said the ultrasound tech took the measurements multiple times... as if she had made a mistake with the numbers. I will admit that the prospect of delivering a really big baby (they estimate a 1/3 - 1/2 lb./week growth rate from here on out... if we went to 40 weeks... you do the math) makes me a little nervous. At first I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault due to my diabetes (though, after looking at Rye & me, the MD did say that a big Scandinavian couple like us would likely have a big baby... I didn't correct him that I'm not Scandinavian)... but, as I imagine we'll do over & over again on this journey of parenthood, I have to take comfort in the promise that this little girl is God's child - first & foremost. He promises in His word that he knew her before she was knit together in my womb (crazy!) and that he has a plan for her.... Of course, parenthood does come with tremendous responsibility and we have been entrusted with her care. But at the end of the day, we're human too... I hope we can always take comfort in the fact that we're not expected to be perfect and that we simply can't be. But this little girl will always have a perfect parent in her heavenly father.

The docs say we'll take a 'wait & see' approach to further monitoring her weight and making any decisions on implications for delivery. I'm crossing my fingers we'll get to go a little early.

No comments: