Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another random experience

So most of you know I spend a fair amount of time at my 'office' - otherwise known as Panera. It's generally a great place for me to get work done while also enjoying a comfy seat, warm or cold drink, and an appropriate amount of distractions.

So I'm sitting here right now during a fairly busy period. There are lots of people looking for tables. I've often seen people ask strangers to sit with them during similar times, but have never personally had the experience... until today. I saw the guy spot me and start making his way over. I tried to look down, but once you make eye contact, that's really just impossible. Of course I tell him to take a seat, even if inside I'm wondering, 'why me?!'. And down he sits...

And spreads his tray and bagel bag and coffee WAY past the 1/2 way point (when you were kids did any of your parents have to mark the 1/2 way point in the backseat to separate you & your siblings?). All of a sudden this square table seems really small. He seems so close to me. Wow. This is really awkward. I want to spread out my legs, but fearing a more awkward footsie moment keep them curled up under my chair. He's a middle aged man... kinda scraggly. And I can't lift my eyes up from my computer b/c I just feel he's staring at me. He's probably not, yea... but it feels that way when the table's so small and you can hear him chomping his food and see his mouth going up & down out of your peripheral vision. Ewww... he is a really loud chip chomper. I think they're called Krunchers brand chips, and now I know why. I wonder if people in the restaurant think we're here together... another awkward thought. Wow. I never thought just giving the poor guy a seat could be so strange.

Okay, and enough about me... I wonder how he feels. I wonder if he thinks I'm documenting his lunch today... live... just inches from his chomp, chomp, chomping.

I guess I could strike up a conversation. Maybe ask him if those Krunchers are good.

No comments: