Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stroller Strides

I don't make a practice of using this site for product/service reviews unless something gets me particularly excited (or irked). Keep that in mind when considering my rave review for Stroller Strides - my latest adventure in this Mama world.
I remember seeing fliers for this mom/tot workout while pregnant and thinking I should check it out post-delivery. But like so many things, it slipped my mind in the early days haze. Then my friend Susan brought it up again. She'd been attending and said thanks to Stroller Strides, she was in possibly her best shape ever. Wow!, I thought. Though the idea of a mom/tot workout was intriguing, I had secretly wondered just how much "work" it would really be. The last thing I wanted was some stereotypical, sissy exercise class. But Susan has run marathons and just exudes "fit", so her positive endorsement was the kick in the butt I needed.

And a kick butt (mine) experience it has been! Elynor and I attend 2 or 3 times/week for this 1-hour cross training workout. The combination cardio/resistance work has helped me get closer to my previous level of fitness in just a few short weeks, and it's really fun! I should caveat this rave review with the fact that I have never enjoyed group fitness classes. I would always go once or twice but come away annoyed at the crowded room, distracted by the other people, or just plain bored. But my experience with Stroller Strides has been anything but. Our instructor does an awesome job mixing up the activities and incorporating the kiddos. Activities range from sprint intervals followed by jumping jacks or lunges, to basketball-practice-esque shuffle drills interspersed with chest presses (using tubes). Class always ends with wall sits, during which we sing a fave children's song to the strollered kiddos, followed by ab work, during which the kiddos get out and play. During cold weather we meet in a gym and when it warms up we'll meet in a park. Besides the amazing fitness results, it's also a wonderful way to meet other moms & tots. We're all there for the same reason and we've all recently (in the past year or so) gone through the same thing, so there's freedom to take it at your own pace and also encourage one another in this new adventure.

Clearly I could go on with this review... but I want you all to return to my site, so I'll finish up by encouraging all you new mamas or soon-to-be mamas, or sisters or husbands or friends of a mama to check out the Stroller Strides website and find a class near you. The first visit is free and then you can sign up for the class plan that makes sense with your schedule (the one I signed up for was financially comparable to my monthly gym membership, which I wasn't going to b/c Elynor is too young for childcare). Though your needs may be the last thing on your mind right now, remember that a healthy mama makes for happy kiddos (and husbands)!

No comments: