Anyway, during my many hours of leaning over the crib ssshhhhh patting, I've had lots of time to think. This morning I came up with several new product ideas that I would get to market ASAP if I worked for the Baby Whisperer company. What do you think? Should I be in touch with some of my designer friends?
1. Mama Spit Shield: Go ahead, try doing a long and loud SHHHHH. Now try doing 5 - 10 long and loud SHHHH's. Is your computer screen covered in spit? Kinda gross, huh? Now imagine doing this to your child's hair and face multiple times a day. I suppose I can think of more disgusting things, but something about spitting all over my child is not a story I'd like to tell her some day. I think a simple Mama Spit Shield could be created... Something you strap to your face and block this icky shower.Really, I need to get these ideas into development... and be on my way to moving up to a place with a parking place, a second bathroom, and maybe even floors that don't squeak!
2. Recorded SHHH Device: If the Mama Spit Shield doesn't do it for you, just forget Shhhing yourself all together (it does start to hurt your lips after awhile). I can't think of a creative name right now, so this SHHHH device would simply have unending SHHHING contained in a handy little device. All you'd have to do is push a button and hold it near your child's ears for hours of SHHHHing fun. If you wanted to get really fancy, this pocket-sized device could also have a little flashlight for middle of the night SHHHING.
3. Arm Extentions: As my arms and back were hurting this morning, I was thinking about Inspector Gadget's go-go gadget arms. How cool would it be to have arms that extended on demand? But since I don't see this happening any time soon, this product would be an improvisation. Something you hook to your wrists or elbows to extend the length of your arms, and hence, your patting ability while saving your wrists, back, and any other muscles from unnecessary pain.
4. Shhh Patting Cushion: This could be marketed with the arm extensions. Leaning over a crib for long periods of time means resting your ribs, collar bone, or boobs on a wooden crib bar. Ouch. This SHHH Patting cushion isn't a novel concept. Simply a small pillow that hooks around the crib railing protecting moms & dads from the injuries associated with this parenting gig.
5. Shhh Patting Bed: Okay, this is the big kahuna. Basically, packaging all of the above in a very stylish bed with the SHHH Patting or Baby Whisperer trademark. It's The Sleep Number bed for babies (or parents). It's sold through Pottery Barn, Land of Nod or an even higher-end kid's store. Definitely not at Babies R' Us or Target. But I think there's a market here... you know, for the folks with Bugaboo strollers, wipe warmers, designer jeans at 3 months, etc.