Monday, October 1, 2007

Day One Solo Mama: So Far So Good

Today feels like my first official day on the job as Solo Mama. That's right, for the past 2 weeks each of Elynor's grandmas have carried much of the load... easing me into this new gig. But today it's just me, the baby, and the dog (who can feel like a 2nd child)! Last week I was pretty apprehensive about how things would go. But as Ryan & I manned the fort together this weekend, I think my confidence and enthusiasm about taking the reigns on this new role grew.

And a little over 1/2 way through this first solo shift, I'm happy to report, "So Far, So Good". Thanks to a dreery morning, both Elynor & I have enjoyed a few cozy naps together on the couch (after 5 tries at shhhing her to sleep, I gave in for some snuggle time), I got a shower before Ryan left, I'm on my 2nd load of laundry and emptied the dishwasher. As you can see from the photo, Elynor is now napping in her bouncy seat (a loaner from her friend Anni - don't worry, after this photo I did put something under her neck!). I put her in there as an experiment, not expecting her to stay for more than 5 minutes. But I'm now taking advantage of her contentment... making some iced tea, eating lunch, and now enjoying some computer time. Ally has also cooperated today. After needing some attention this morning, she has since slept lazily next to Elynor & me. The sun seems to be coming out now, so maybe we'll venture out for a walk a little later. Or take another nap!

I know not every day will be easy, or even good, in this new role. So for now I'm celebrating the sweetness of this first 1/2 day!


Liz Mouse said...

Lauren has this same bouncy seat, a freebie from friends who are done having kids. She hangs out in it on the floor of our bathroom when I take a shower. I find it works pretty well although occasionally I have to lean out to give it a bounce.

Heather M said...

Wow... these last two posts are def a window into my life this past month! Amazing similarities as a track week by week: the baby waking after 5 minutes, giving in and just letting her nap on me because I was just that tired, finally finding a seat that she will sleep on during the day :)