Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Encouraging Words While We're Waiting

Well, Labor Day came and went with no labor in the Westrom home. During this time of *sometimes impatient* waiting, I've found great encouragement from the following words:
For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before they came to be.

Psalm 139: 13-16
I'm sure this passage is one I'll come back to frequently as a mother. Right now, three big lessons are encouraging me:
1) I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful: Am I praising my maker and my baby's maker for wonderfully making us both? Or am I too distracted by my own discomfort and impatience to do so?
2) All the days ordained for me were written in your book before they came to be: Wondering if every day will be 'the day'... and when it's not, wrestling with impatience/contentment... this verse is a great reminder that God has a perfect plan for both me and the baby inside me. He knew/knows just how many days I will go through discomfort just like he knew/knows how many days this little girl will hang out inside me. And trusting his perfect plan, I can take comfort in this... even when I'm uncomfortable.
3) As I've mentioned before, I've also wrestled with guilt/responsibility for not managing my diabetes well enough during this pregnancy... possibly resulting in the baby's size and/or future health issues. Throughout this passage I find encouragement to let go of this guilt. The same sovereign maker knit together me and this baby. And (as shared in other verses), he perfectly loves and will care for both of us - no matter what these days bring.

No comments: